Today, December 21, is my birthday.
December 21 is also the day the Mayans said the world would end in 2012.
WIth this in mind, I’m taking the day off and enjoying a guest post from a brother from another mother, Keith. I’m posting Keith’s chili recipe unedited and in his Keith’s own words.
My only comments: I’ve met Keith’s in laws. Despite not being “chili crazy”, they are perfectly fine people. His bride is way too good looking for him, an idea he stole from me. Also, it is a tribute to our friendship that I allow him to use the term “cuz” on this blog as though it were actually a word.
Keith’s “Throw it together Chili”
Cuz the wife wanted chili and likes a lot of “stuff” in it, and this is what I had – even the in laws who aren’t Chili crazy raved about it. None of that sissy chili starter stuff.
- 1 can Tony Pacos chili (Why not? but optional – the best chilis are always started with a sampling of left over chili. A Detroit tradition. Kind of like the grease at Marcus Burger in Detroit)
- 1 can kernel corn (half drained, small size is fine)
- 1 large can (i think its like 28oz) Bushes baked beans with all the juice (unless you can your own baked beans – then use those)
- 1 can red beans with the juice
- 1 big a&& shredded carrot
- 1 big a&& shredded SWEET onion
- 1 lb of left over turkey (the best), canned chicken breast, or ground beef (pre-cooked in the onions and beer of you use beef)
- 1/4-1/2 a can of beer.
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- a man size portion of chili powder and garlic cuz that’s how I roll.
Drop all in a slow cooker MINIMUM 5 hours before eating. If you get it kickin at breakfast, it’s killer by dinner.